Saturday, June 18, 2016

Animated Business Signs

A little something to make your Downtowns a bit livelier...business signs with neon lights that flash, swirl and move to get the attention of all Sims.  They'll add a little excitement while giving your streets the look of a big city and at night they light up automatically to draw even more attention.  Each sign is recolorable and the download includes a total of 11 recolors, each representing a different business.




Requires Nightlife or later expansion.  The animations were achieved by creating animation cells within the Material Definitions for each sign and each of the recolors.  To give you an idea of how they appear in the game, I've made a short video for you to view.




Or you can view it directly on YouTube HERE

All the signs appear in the catalog under Lamps/Wall Lighting for a mere 25 Simoleons.




Sign 2 is a 2-part sign with a "chaser light" arrow.  It hangs from a wall bracket over the sidewalk.
Faces - 532
The default texture is for the "Simply Something Cafe".
Comes with 2 recolors for "Modern Snack Bar" and "Jim and Debbie's Coffee Shop".
 




Sign 4 is a vertical sign that hangs from 2 wall brackets over the sidewalk.
Faces - 532
The default texture is for the "Emporium".
Comes with 3 recolors for  "Arnott's", "We Buy Gold" and "Steel Heart Tattoo".
 
 




Sign 6 is a 3-tiered sign that hangs from a wall bracket over the sidewalk.
Faces - 702
The default texture is for "Sterling Wines and Liquors".
Comes with 1 recolor for "Lorraine's Coffee Shop".
 





Sign 8 is basically the same as Sign 4 but it is a vertical sign that hangs on the wall facing the street.
Faces - 338
The default texture is for the "Emporium".
Comes with 3 recolors for "Arnott's", "We Buy Gold" and "Steel Heart Tattoo".





Sign 12 is a horizontal sign that hangs from a wall bracket over the sidewalk.
Faces - 210
The default texture is for "Woody's Bar".
Comes with 2 recolors for "Coffee Shop" and "Hotel".

The first animated sign I made was sign 2 and I "borrowed" the original mesh from a sign by Sims Design Avenue and remeshed it, removing some parts, changing others and adding a different hanger structure.  The remaining meshes are all my original creations.  All of the animations and textures for the signs and their recolors are also my own.  I must say that creating the animated cells for these signs was a huge challenge for me and I spent countless hours testing the animations in game and editing the cells until I was satisfied.  The textures were also quite challenging, especially the signs on which I tried to depict the old style neon tube lighting effect (signs 2, 6, and 12).  I think you'll be pleased with the results.

You may have noticed the file names of the signs omit signs 1,3,5,7,9,10 and 11.  They are signs that I'm still refining.  They'll be made available in the future along with signs 14 and 15.

Ray  :)


DOWNLOAD  

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! So 1950's .... I love them. You know that you're making it impossible for me to NOT build a mid-century neighborhood. NOT fair! BTW... I also love the street clutter and the bus stop shelter... where did you find them... or, do you just have them stashed away without intent of sharing them???? (raises an eyebrow and taps impatiently on the desk....)
    Once again....thank you, Ray :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. If you like mid century, you'd probably enjoy my 1950's game/hood. I call it Fulton City. It has both high-class areas and slum neighborhoods. I modeled with New York City in mind. Sometime I'll have to show off the album I made of the city.
      Some of the street clutter I created and some is from other creators that I downloaded from various sites.

      Ray :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! You are amazing! These signs are really fantastic! I vote yes on seeing your Fulton City :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be magic!
    " If you like mid century, you'd probably enjoy my 1950's game/hood. I call it Fulton City. It has both high-class areas and slum neighborhoods. I modeled with New York City in mind. Sometime I'll have to show off the album I made of the city.
    Some of the street clutter I created and some is from other creators that I downloaded from various sites."

    I would be delighted to see pictures of Fulton City.

    Things have been rather hectic at Affinity as we try to get set up with a new host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you more than met your challenge, Ray, and your many hours of hard work certainly paid off! These are brilliant! Thanks much!

    And I would also love to see your Fulton City album.

    Lisa CH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray, These are fantastic. I have wanted something like this for a long time!
    Thank you for this stunning work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am speechless...
    I'm slowly building a fully customized hood completely devoid of corruption or maxis match which I intend to play with for a very long time (from the 50s to 90s,maybe longer) and just the other night I was sprucing up my Downtown and I thought I needed more signs...and here you are!!! =)
    I think you are a mind reader because lately the only content I downloaded are your creations and - believe me - they really make a huge impact in the way I build or decorate.
    My old desktop can't really stomach too many high polycounts and this signs are so tiny!

    You already post so many beautiful (and useful!) things but I have to say I'm very curious to see Fulton city, from your description it sounds quite promising and articulated.

    Thank you for your marvelous work, Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've outdone yourself! These are spec-tac-ular! The best I'm seen in the whole community. A thousand thank yous. My poor heaving DL folder! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Ray, these will liven up my red light fallout neighborhood to no end!!! I love them. Thanks, you do brilliant work!
    (epo)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeeehaw, I swear this is so needed in my Sims 2 Game. Excited I am and (was) when I saw this available for downloading. Awesome work, and super thanks for making and sharing it-them with us!!!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are amazing! That's just what my downtown set needs! Thank you so much for sharing this awesomness with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh these are SO great! Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I love this sooooooo much! Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. O.K. I'm late to the party here but I just had to thank you for your hard work on these signs. Perfect for my new 1930/40's "Art Deco" hood I'm slowly building, my downtown will now have that gritty "Noir" look to it. Many thanks, Ray. Greywolf3 @ PBK

    ReplyDelete